What is the point of writing to your MP? - updated 3/10

Yesterday I wrote to my MP, Bath's Wera Hobhouse, to ask her if there was anything she could do to hold this government (ie crazed dictatorship) to account. What did I get back? A clearly templated response that didn't address a single one of my concerns, but just took pot-shots at 'right wing populism' and Trump. Pretty dismal.
I've pasted the exchanges below.

I wrote:
Dear Mrs Hobhouse
Is there anything you can do to stop this government from destroying the country?
I am in despair. They are taking any joy out of life because of a bug-eyed focus on one virus, they are spreading fear everywhere and making everyday life intolerable, they are making decisions and introducing new laws with zero parliamentary scrutiny.
They are acting like an unelected dictatorship, all the while destroying the health service, destroying education, destroying the high street, destroying the economy and destroying any feeling of commonality that people have towards one another.
Is there anything you can do to stop them? As I say, I am in utter despair.

She replied:

Thank you for your email and I am sorry you are so depressed about this current government that it affects your joy of life.
I don’t want to add to your depression but I can’t honestly give you that much re-assurance in terms of the political situation. We are dealing with a right wing populist government which is increasingly following the textbook of Trump and other populist leaders.
Boris Johnson and his allies got a large parliamentary majority at the last election, although not a majority in the country. It is only our unfair voting system that delivered this distorted result. I believe that the majority of this country believes in progressive politics. It is only that the progressive vote gets split at each election.
At the next election centre left parties need to be better at working together and defeat the Tories to make sure their destructive agenda doesn’t last for a generation. It will be a difficult battle but I never give up and I will work hard to made a progressive alliance work.
Although I have no influence over it I am also holding out for Trump to lose the US election. It will make a huge difference for global politics and the further rise or the beginnings of defeat for the populist right.
While politics is affecting all our lives, don’t make it the thing that overshadows everything. Even I don’t and I hope you can find joy and fulfilment elsewhere while admittedly the political situation is rather depressing.

UPDATE 3/10: I wrote to Wera asking if she would vote against the renewal of the Coronavirus Bill and she replied to say she would, as that was the Lib Dems' chosen course of action. So that was good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is this the death of cinema?

Postcard from Montenegro

How Doctor Who became Doctor Woke